Thursday 21 Sep 2017

Print
PDF
 

NOVA GORICA

Nova Gorica is a small town next to the border of Italy and is adjacent to the city Gorizia. In 1948, after the 2nd World War, the borders between both countries changed several times. Gorizia, which was first a Slovenian town, came into Italian hands. Former Yugoslavia then decided to build less than 10 km from Gorizia a whole new city with the name Nova Gorica. Where were first only fields, a whole new city arose. Nova Gorica got build by thounsands of volunteers. 
The word Gorica is a diminutive of the Slovenian word gora which means mountain. In archaic Slovenian it also means vineyard. It is a very common toponym in Slovenia.

Nova Gorica is the city of roses. Everywhere in this town you can find these flowers. It is a lively university town. Concerts, festivals, theater, fairs, exhibitions and other cultural, culinary and ethnological events enrich the life of the local population and its guests. The majority of the cultural events take place in the Slovenian National Theatre.

The green and wine-growing Vipava valley stretches out to the east of the city, in the direction of Ajdovščina. Here can be found excellent wines like Zelen, Pinela and Klarnica. These wines can be tasted in local cellars.

On a hill, overlooking the outskirts of Nova Gorica, stands a renovated renaissance fortress. The small, two-storey high renaissance castle, was built before the end of the 16th century on the place where was the old castle of Henrick Dornberg from the 13th century.The castle was named after the owner Ivan Marija Coronini. The land house is a typical renaissance building with a square floor plan and corner towers. The castle was heavily damaged in both wars, but it was renovated again. Since 1954, the building houses the Gorica museum with a rich collection of paintings.

Between Nova Gorica and Gorizia lays a 143 meter high hill. On top of this hill stands the Church of the Annunciation of Mary and a Franciscan monastery. This pilgrimage has a rich history and has lots of treasures of the past.
In the known library of the Franciscan monastery, Škrabčeva Knjiznica, there are several incunabula and a part of the grammar book of Bohorič. In the crypt are the remains of several members of the French royal house of Bourbon. Among them, the last king of France and his son, the Duke of Angulem.

    

                                                                                                                                                                                   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Main Menu

Car Rental

Property Search